Australian Competition Law: Expert Profiles
Dr Jill Walker
Commissioner, Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
Relevant qualifications and honours
- Bachelor of of Arts (Eco) University of Cambridge
- Masters in Arts (majoring in Economics) University of Massachusetts
- Doctor of Philosophy (in Land Economy) University of Cambridge
Relevant work history and committee involvement
- 2009 - Commissioner of ACCC (commencing 22 September 2009 for 5 year term; appointed by Dr Craig Emerson MP)
- Chair of the ACCC's Merger Review Committee and member of the Enforcement Committee and Adjudication
- 2001-2009 Member, Australian Competition Tribunal
- Economic Consultant for LECG Ltd.
- Consultant, Network Economics Consulting Group
- Consultant for CRA International
- 2005 - Member of South Australian Government's panel of expert assessors assisting the District Court in hearing appeals under the
Essential Services Commission Act 2002 and the Gas Pipelines Access (SA) Act 1997.
- Economic Advisor to the ACCC (and before that, the Prices Surveillance Authority and the Trade Practices Commission)
- Dr Walker has provided expert evidence in a number of high profile competition law cases, including:
- ACCC v Liquorland (Australia) Pty Ltd  FCA 826 (for Seven)
Conference papers / Speeches
Agreements, Communication and Facilitating Practices: where is the harm?, 21st August 2010, Paper presented at the Law Council Trade Practices Workshop Gold Coast 21 August 2010, for the session: "The meaning of understanding: when does communication become collusion?"