Hot topic (Criminal Cartels)
First criminal cartel case
An indictment in Australia's first criminal cartel case was filed by the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions on Thursday 14 July 2016.
Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha pleaded guilty before Justice Wigney on 18 July 2016 (The Queen v Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha).
- John Durie and Ben Butler, 'ACCC launches criminal cartel case against Japanese shipper NYK' (The Australian, 15 July 2016)
- John Durie, 'ACCC bares teeth with criminal case against Japan's NYK' (The Australian, 16 July 2016).
- Daniel Palmer, 'ACCC succeeds in shipping cartel case against Jana's NYK' (The Australian, 18 July 2016)
- John Durie, 'Under the hood of a car cartel' (The Australian, 18 July 2016)
- Reuters 'ACCC says Japanese shipping giant Nippon Yusen pleads guilty to cartel conduct' (SMH, 18 July 2016)
- Rebecca Thurlow, 'Japanese Shipping Company NYK Pleads Guilty to Criminal-Cartel Conduct in Australia’s Federal Court' (The Wall Street Journal, 17 July 2016 (US ET time))
- Lilly Vitorovich (AAP), 'Shipping giant guilty on cartel charge' (Yahoo 7 News, 18 July 2016)
- Misa Han, 'ACCC bags first criminal cartel case against Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha' (AFR, 18 July 2016)
Law firm commentary/updates
- Clayton Utz: 'Australia pursues first criminal cartel prosecution' (Clayton Utz, Knowledge, 20 July 2016)
- Gilbert + Tobin: Gilbert + Tobin, 'Corporate Crime + Investigations' (eComms, July 2016); Elizabeth Avery, Chris Boyd, Gina Cass-Gottlieb, Steven Glass, Andrew Floro and Stephanie Wee, 'Japanese shipping company NYK pleads guilty to criminal cartel conduct in inaugural Australian prosecution' (Insights, 21 July 2016)
- King&Wood Mallesons: Wayne Leach and Peta Stevenson, James Darch and Taylor Macdonald, 'ACCC Charting New Waters with First Criminal Cartel Prosecution' (In Competition, 22 July 2016)
Australia introduced criminal penalties for cartel conduct on 24 July 2009. This represents the first action brought by the Director of Public Prosecutions pursuant to the criminal cartel laws.
See Cartel page.
Images copyright: Image from Pixabay (CC0 public Domain licence)